Best 1 Day Cookery Course (UK & Ireland Cookery School Awards).
Discover Dorset game in a day, from the point of view of the game keeper, the butcher and the chef. During this award-winning course you’ll learn first-hand about the fascinating journey of local feathered and furred game. With help from our expert team, we’ll give you the confidence to prepare and cook these majestic and nutritious meats and their accompaniments.
First, it’s up to the field to meet with the gamekeeper, clad in his traditional ware and holding a Harris Hawk.
Then a bang…a blank from a pistol…and the gun dog tears off to collect a bird from the undergrowth, expertly guided by a whistle.
Next, you are looking down the telescopic lens of a rifle and discussing sustainable and ethical management of the land, it’s wildlife and the importance of this industry.
After a normally chilly start, it back to the cookery school for whole venison butchery – a headshot deer delivered by a local stalker awaits your arrival. With little fuss and lots of student participation you’ll learn how to skin this majestic animal and divide into prime cuts, then joints ready for the oven.
Then it’s onto the gallinaceous game birds including Pheasant and Red-legged partridge, which are breasted or plucked, sealed and flamed before roasting or braising.
- British Game
- Sustainable and ethical management
- Game seasons/local game knowledge
- Learning from a gamekeeper with his working dog and hawk
- Preparation and cookery of gallinaceous game birds
- Modern recipes for game
- Whole venison butchery
- Skinning and jointing rabbit
- Flamed Red-legged Partridge with Brandy, Tarragon and Grapes
- Roast Breast of Pheasant with Curry Sauce, Apples and Crisps
- Braised Rabbit in a Rich Red Wine, Anchovy and Prune Sauce
This 1 day course includes:
- Expert tuition and advice throughout
- 75% practical hands-on cookery
- Short cookery skills demonstrations
- Take-home recipe packs
- Hot and cold refreshments from the bar (including freshly baked biscuits)
- Informal lunch
This a White Pepper signature course and is suitable for the enthusiastic/intermediate cook.
Don’t forget your wellies!
Take a look at our FAQs which include useful tips.
“This course is so thoughtfully crafted – even the name ‘Feathered and Furred’ piques your interest and the course is gripping from start to finish. It comprises active forays in the Dorset countryside, hands-on acquisition of new skills back in the kitchen and is rounded off with a true field-to-fork meal.”
Nick Wyke, Editor Times Food Online
“An excellent confidence building experience. I’d recommend it to anyone interested in learning about game.” P.Jones
“Plucking my first bird was made very easy and enjoyable.”
“Fabulous course covering all stages of the game cooking process. From field to fork.”