As an extension to Beside The Sea, we are excited to announce our brand new Seafood cookery course with Michelin Star Chef Mark Treasure. A comprehensive day preparing and cooking very local (and sustainable) fish and shellfish here in the heart of Dorset on the South Coast.
You will discover a greater variety of techniques, gain high level skills and create lively, health conscious dishes that are beautifully nutritious. We always strive to acknowledge current trends and relevant issues which is why we are so passionate about how we can keep up to date with sustainability.
The proximity we have to The Jurassic Coast equips us with the advantage of the freshest fish, usually straight off the boat within 24 hours, emphasizing for us the importance of ‘fresh’ and traceability. We will teach you how to recognize sustainable fish and shellfish, why to purchase whole fish rather than prepacked off the shelf. You will leave with the skills to clean, scale, fillet, bone and skin a variety of fish, as well as knowledge on dry-curing, stuffing, coating, poaching and scorching in order to confidently create some really impressive dishes.
We’ve responded to your feedback from Beside The Sea and have created a new course that we know you will fall for Hook, Line and Sinker!
- Benefits of fresh fish and purchasing points
- How to identify fresh fish/purchasing points
- What’s sustainable
- Anatomy of cuttlefish and preparation
- Cartilaginous fish (skate)
- Portioning, stuffing and coating fish/fillets
- Dry curing
- Advice with marinating
- Cooking techniques/methods: raw, scorching, poaching and frying
- Sauces and accompaniments
Typical Recipes Covered
- Ceviche (grey mullet)
- Saute Cuttlefish with Linguini, Basil & Pine Kernels
- Cannelloni of Skate, Dublin Bay Prawn Sauce
- Devilled Fish Fingers, Homemade Tartare Sauce
- Salmon Gravlax, Beetroot, Dill & Mustard – Take Home Kit
- Beverages and biscuits from the bar
- 75% hands-on practical cookery
- Interactive demonstrations
- Live feed TV screens to capture expert skills
- Professional tuition and qualified advice
- Sit-down lunches
- Complimentary glass of wine (or non-alcoholic alternative)
- Local Dorset ingredients
- Use of WhitePepper training kitchen
- No weighing up
- No washing up
- Colour recipe packs to take home
- Certificates given on completion of the course
We’re also hugely passionate about using the right tools for the job. During your visit there will be an opportunity test various utensils but if you can’t wait until then, some of these items appear in our online Cook Shop
Frequently Asked Questions
Please take a look at our FAQs before your visit. Here you’ll find useful tips on location, free parking and what to bring.