Pancetta & Leek Chowder
50g pancetta, lardons
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
150g leek, diced and washed
50g white wine
125g double cream
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
Salt and white pepper
Lemon juice, to taste
- Place a saucepan on the heat and gently fry the pancetta to render the fat. Cook until the bacon turns golden brown and crisp, stirring occasionally. This can take approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the butter or oil to the pan then add the onion and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the diced leek and allow ‘to sweat’ until slightly wilted (remove and reserve some of the vegetables for garnish).
- Now add the flour and stir this through the vegetable mixture.
- Pour in the white wine and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
- Add the cream and bring to the boil.
- Tip in the potatoes with the thyme and seasoning.Add enough water to cover the potatoes*.
- Continue to simmer, cook gently for approximately 25 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
- To finish; add a little lemon juice and heat through. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- See article above for how to convert to New England Clam Chowder.