A lovely dish ideal for a light summer lunch or as a starter. The combination of ultra fresh trout, pickled greens and creme fraiche combined together make this summer dish a tasty treat. Serve with sourdough toast, crostini, toasted rye or granary bread and some tossed green salad on the side.
Serves 4 as a starter
- 200ml White wine vinegar
- 100g Brown Sugar
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4 Juniper berries
- Pinch of salt
- 250g Creme fraiche
- Salt & freshly ground white pepper
- 1 Lime
- 1 Bunch radish
- 1 Bunch fresh dill
- 1 Packet fresh micro shoots
- 4 Quail eggs, soft boiled
- Chilli dust (homemade) or chilli powder
- Rapeseed oil
- Place the ingredients for the pickling liquor in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes and then cool.
- Cut the greens to your preferred size and submerge into the pickling liquor and set aside.
- Prepare the trout, then cut into small dice sized pieces.
- Put the creme fraiche in a bowl, zest of 1 lime and juice of 1/2 lime. Season with salt, pepper and fresh dill.
- Bind the trout with the creme fraiche mix and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Carefully place the quail eggs in boiling water and leave for 2-3 minutes, then refresh in iced cold water. Chill down and peel carefully, set aside.
- Thinly slice the radish, pick over the micro herbs.
- Assemble the dish, use a ring to shape the trout mix.
- Drain the garnishes and place around the trout.
- Garnish with the micro shoots, radish and a quail egg. Lightly season with salt and chilli dust.
- Drizzle with rapeseed oil.