(Image owned by Lara Jane Thorpe photography. Lara runs WhitePepper’s Food Photography courses)
This is a great time of year to purchase fresh, native lobster from our local shores. Purchase your lobster from a reputable supplier. Crustaceans should be quite animated when touched or handled. Look for lobster that smell very fresh. If you straighten out their tails they should swiftly curve back under the body. Clawed crustaceans such as crab and lobster should have strong rubber bands placed on their claws to prevent injury to the handler.
If buying cooked lobster look for one with a brightly coloured shell and a tail that is tightly curled under the body. This means that it was live when it was cooked.
Serve hot or cold, grilled or poached. Try this tasty salad from our chef director Mark.
- 2 x 1lb native whole lobsters
- Mixed salad leaves, washed
- 1 x Fresh mango, peeled & diced 2cm
- 2 x Fresh oranges, segmented
- 40g Green beans or sugar snap peas, lightly cooked
- 1-2 bunches of asparagus, lightly cooked
- 2 x Shallots, finely chopped
- Sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves
Combine the salad ingredients together in a bowl but not the leaves.
Lobster Vegetable Stock
- 1 x lemon
- 1 x carrot
- 1 x white onion
- 1/2 leek
- 2 x celery sticks
- Thyme, tarragon, bay leaf
- Coriander seeds, white peppercorns
- 1/2 bottle white wine
Cooking Lobster humanely
For 1 lb fresh lobster, place the lobster in the freezer for 20 minutes (this will make them sleepy). Then cook for 20 minutes in boiling salted water or place in a pan of simmering vegetable stock and bring back up to boil. Turn the heat off and cool in the liquid before preparation.
- Juice of 1 and 1/2 oranges
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
Place all of the ingredients together in a bowl, blend with a hand blender to create a thick creamy dressing.
Put a layer of salad leaves on a serving dish and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Then a layer of the mixed ingredients and so on.
Finish with the lobster on top of the salad and sprinkle with some Sesame, Pumpkin, Sunflower seeds and fresh Basil leaves