Enjoy a new recipe each week this Christmas. Recipe 2 of 4 is from Forager John, who brings us a wild mushroom pate which can be smooth or textured.
- 1 onion
- 300g mushrooms
- 200g sweet chestnuts
- 200g cream cheese
- Tbsp white wine vinegar
- Black pepper to taste
- Chop and gently fry an onion
- Then add about 300g of mushrooms and a few pinches of Marjoram (wild or otherwise), cook for just a couple of minutes.
- At the same time take 200g of Sweet Chestnuts, halved with the shells on (or not if they are out of a packet…Boo!) and boil for about ten minutes before removing the shells.
- Whizz 200g of cream cheese and a tbsp of white wine vinegar in a blender, then add the nuts and the mushroom/onion mix and some black pepper.
- Blend gently until it makes a smooth paste, taste and season as required before putting the mixture into a dish and into the fridge for a few hours.
- Alternatively, cook the Sweet Chestnuts for just a couple of minutes and go for a more textured version, although, as you will find, removing lots of them from the shells hurts the hell out of your finger nails..but its worth it, it really is.
The original version of this recipe can be found on John’s website.