Enjoy a new recipe each week this Christmas. Recipe 1 of 4 is from Chef Natalie who brings us a festive twist on this classic Italian sweet.
- 100g whole almonds, roasted and roughly chopped
- 100g whole hazelnuts, roasted and roughly chopped
- 100g brazil nuts, roasted and roughly chopped
- 50g candied peel, finely chopped
- 100g soft prunes, roughly chopped
- 25g cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 75g plain flour, sifted
- 150g runny honey
- 150g caster sugar
- Edible wafer paper (if you haven’t got any of this it’s pretty cheap to buy online)
1. Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2. Line the base of a 20cm square or 22cm round tin with edible wafer paper.
2. Put the nuts, mixed peel, prunes, cocoa, spices and flour in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
3. Put the honey and sugar in a pan and heat gently, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and pour over the fruit and nut mixture. Work quickly to combine the ingedients, then pack into the tin, being careful not to move the wafer paper.
4. Level the surface with a warm, damp palette knife and bake for 30 minutes on the middle shelf of the oven. This cake will not rise.
5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin. When cold turn out onto a board and using a clean, sharp knife, cut into neat slices or squares.
White Pepper Tip: These can be stored in an airtight box or wrapping for up to three weeks, and can be frozen for up to two months.