A fresh, wholesome salad, perfect for Spring barbecues. Easy to make and packed full of goodness. It’s gluten free too! Serves 6-8
- For the salad:
- 1 large sweet potato
- Sea salt
- 4 red onions
- 200g cooked red rice
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, toasted
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- For the vinaigrette:
- 2 limes, Juice and zest
- 1 chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- Same volume of extra virgin olive oil (or slightly less)
- 5 spring onions or lots of chives chopped finely
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Lots of freshly chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
(Pre heat oven 210°c)
- Peel the sweet potato and onion, cut into 1.5cm cubes.
- Mix the spices with the oil, toss the vegetables in the oil and spread out on a baking tray. Roast in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden and slightly caramelised.
- Next make the vinaigrette by whisking all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- To Serve, put the cooled, cooked rice, roast vegetables and toasted seeds in a bowl. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and toss well. Taste and correct the seasoning.
As with any recipe, it’s always possible to add or remove ingredients according to your taste. Tell us how you got on with making the salad!