This recipe can be easily adjusted to make different flavours and variations including lemon, blueberry and coconut & mango.
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 125g icing sugar
- 3 medium egg whites or 150ml pasteurised egg white
- 25g plain flour
- 85g ground almonds
- Generously butter two 12 hole mini muffin tins – you will get 24 out of this recipe.
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Sift the icing sugar and flour into a bowl, add the almonds and mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites in another bowl until they form a light, floppy foam. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, tip in the egg whites , then lightly stir in the butter to form a soft batter. Add any flavourings at this stage.
- Divide the batter between the tins, filling to no more than 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes until just firm to the touch and golden brown.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out careful onto a cooling rack. Dust lightly with icing sugar to serve.
Lemon – add the zest of a lemon or a teaspoon of lemon extract. Try other citrus flavours like orange and lime.
Blueberry – push in a single blueberry into the top of the cake before baking. This also works with raspberries, blackberries, mixed summer berries etc.
Lemon Curd – pipe in a small amount of lemon curd into the centre before baking.
Coconut and Mango – replace half the ground almonds with desiccated coconut and push in small cubed pieces of mango before baking.
Almond – sprinkle some flaked almonds on the top before baking.