As mentioned on BBC Radio Solent, 1st November 2012.
A seasonal drink for the adults! If you haven’t made your own cocktails before then this is a great place to start.
Eggnog is an old fashioned and stylish cocktail.
- Serves 8
- 8 large eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 500ml double cream
- 700ml whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp nutmeg, grated
- 150ml bourbon
- 150ml brandy
- 1. Separate 2 of the eggs and whisk together 2 yolks with the remaining 6 whole eggs and the sugar (place the 2 whites into a clean bowl).
- 2. Heat the double cream and the milk.
- 3. Whisk one cup of the warm milk/cream into the egg mixture.
- 4. Pour this into the rest of the milk/cream mixture and continue to cook, until the custard just thickens.
- 5. Strain from the pan, through a sieve and into a glass bowl – allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- 6. Add the remaining ingredients
- 7. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks and fold them through the mixture.
- 8. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- 9. Serve in cocktail glasses, dusted with nutmeg