A comprehensive day preparing and cooking a bounty of sustainable Jurassic fish and shellfish.
Spend a day learning tips and tricks under the expert guidance of either Chef Gary who was Dorset’s Food Hero 2014 or Chef Luke who was finalist for Best Tutor at British Cookery School Awards 2014.
With a bounty of some of the world’s finest seafood on our doorstep eating fish has become enduringly popular. We’ll show you the techniques so that you can confidently cook from start to finish those dishes you’ve always admired.
White Pepper Cookery School’s proximity to the Jurassic coast and relationships with the fishermen and mongers means that they receive the ‘wet fish’ before the London markets – at it’s very freshest, normally within 24 hours of the catch. We’ll teach you how to purchase excellent quality seafood, then prepare and cook great looking/tasting dishes.
Having understood purchasing points for fresh fish, you’ll discover how to categorise fish, which will help you handle and prepare them. Try your hand at cleaning, scaling, filleting, pin-boning, picking, shucking, scoring and trimming – we’ll also show you the correct tools to use, with an opportunity to pick them up from the Cook Shop.
Dazzle your dinner guests and extend your cookery knowledge by adopting new cooking techniques and ideas for accompaniments and sauces.
- How to identify fresh fish/purchasing points
- What is sustainable
- Anatomy of crab. Crab picking
- Cleaning and scaling whole fish
- Filleting, pin-boning, trimming, scoring fish/fillets
- Storing bivalves, preparation of shellfish, shucking
- Cleaning whole squid, scoring and flash frying/BBQ
- Reducing wastage with advice for stocks, sauces and soups
- Classic European recipes with a modern twist
- Cooking techniques
- Sauces and accompaniments
- Presentation of dishes
- American Style Crab Cakes
- Grilled Mackerel, Warm Coriander, Tomato and Herb Dressing
- Scallops with Lemon Glaze and Brown Butter
- Pan-fried Wild Bass, Classic Shallot Butter Sauce
- Seared Baby Squid, Blackened Peppers, Chorizo and Parsley Salad
- Soupe de Poisson with Gurnard and Rouille
- Palourde Clams with Indian Spices
This 1 day course includes:
- Expert tuition and advice
- 75% Practical experience on behalf of the student
- Short cookery skills demonstrations
- Take-home recipe packs
- Hot and cold refreshments from the bar (including freshly baked biscuits)
- Informal lunch, enjoying dishes you have created in the morning.
This White Pepper signature course is suitable for the enthusiast or intermediate cook.
Take a look at our FAQs which include useful tips.
“Another great day at White Pepper! I feel much more confident cooking fish and shellfish.”
“Brilliant. Enjoyed every moment learning new skills. Great for my confidence in the kitchen. Excellent tutor and staff. Will see you for another course in the future.”
“Loved it. So much interaction with the tutor. A brilliant present for birthday or christmas.”