You’ll find our simplified version of the classic Confit Duck Leg is easy to make and very tasty. Perhaps a bit of a luxury with duck but also works well with other poultry too. Free range farmed duck is available all year around, whilst wild duck is in season from October to December. We recommend that you serve the rice salad with the duck but the salad also works very well as a vegetarian dish on its own.
- 2 duck legs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Fresh thyme sprigs
Method – Preheat oven to 190ºC then 150ºC
- Stage 1: Smash the garlic and place with the duck legs, salt, pepper and thyme in a bag or bowl.
- Marinade for several hours overnight, if possible.
- Stage 2: Create a parcel using a double thickness of foil then add the duck and the other ingredients.
- Place in an ovenproof dish and cook for 20 minutes at the higher temperature
- Turn down and continue to cook for a further 1.5 hours or until completely soft.
- When ready to serve, brush the skin side of the duck with a little of the spare fat.
- Sprinkle with extra sea salt then grill until very crisp.
WhitePepper’s Top Tip: If made in advance and the duck needs reheating then simply crisp the skin at the same time in a preheated oven 200ºC . This method uses only a little salt, as it is not washed off. The duck could be cured in a greater amount of salt/sugar but it would then need to be washed/soaked in advance.
Red Rice & Pumpkin Seed Salad with Lime & Soy Vinaigrette
For the Salad
- 1/2 large sweet potato
- 2 red onions
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Sea Salt
- 100g red rice (cooked weight 200-250g)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds, oven toasted
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds, oven toasted
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds, oven toasted
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 lime, juice & zest
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2-3 spring onions, chives sliced
- 1/2 chilli, finely cut (optional)
- Fresh Coriander, chopped
Method (Preheat oven 210ºC)
- Peel the sweet potato and onion, cut into 1.5cm cubes
- Toss the vegetables in the oil, spices and salt and spread out on a baking tray. Roast in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden and caramelised.
- Next make the vinaigrette by whisking all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- To serve, put the cold cooked rice, roast vegetables, toasted seeds and salad garnish in a bowl. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and toss well. Taste and correct the seasoning as necessary.