Ideally use fresh local strawberries for this classic favourite. Once you’ve made the doughnuts and the jam, use a piping bag to fill the doughnuts with jam. Serve warm. Makes 4-8 doughnuts.
Making the Doughnuts
- 5g fresh yeast
- 3g salt
- 25ml milk
- 70g eggs, beaten
- 125g strong flour
- 70g unsalted butter, softened
- 25g caster sugar
- A little citrus zest & sugar, mixed
- Preheat oil 180°c
- Warm the milk and add the yeast.
- Sieve the dry ingredients into a freestanding mixer with the ‘K beater’ and add the yeast mixture.
- Increase the speed and add the eggs quickly in a steady stream. Continue by gradually adding the butter – beat until elastic and glossy.
- Cover and leave to prove until doubled in size.
- Knock back and divide into 35g pieces. Shape into balls and place directly on oiled parchment.
- Allow to prove a second time until doubled in size.
- Carefully tip the doughnuts into the oil and fry until swollen and a rich golden brown colour
- Drain well, then toss in the citrus sugar while still warm.
Making the strawberry jam
- 150g strawberries or raspberries
- 40g caster sugar
- Roughly chop the fruit and cook with the sugar until a jam consistency is reached – approx. 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool then transfer to a piping bag. Keep chilled until ready to use.
Do you have a favourite filling for doughnuts? Have you tried a similar recipe? Tell us how you got on in the comments below.