A fresh and fragrant dish which is great as a Thai starter. This recipe makes 16-20 small rice paper rolls.
Ingredients for the Sweet & Sour Dipping Sauce:
- 150ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour, blended with 2 tsp water
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
Ingredients for the Thai Salad:
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 small cucumber, seeds removed, julienne
- 2 tbsp ginger, shredded
- Small bunch mint, julienne
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed, julienne
- 100g green papaya, julienne
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, julienne
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 red pepper, julienne
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 spring onions, julienne
- 16 rice paper wrappers
- To make the dipping sauce: Combine all the ingredients, except the blended cornflour, in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Stir in the ‘slaked’ cornflour and return to the heat stirring all the time until it thickens. Allow to cool before serving.
- Heat the oil and cook the prepared ginger and chilli until lightly browned.
- Add the lime leaves and cook for a further minute.
- Combine with the pepper, spring onion, cucumber, mint, papaya, lime juice and fish sauce *.
- When ready, place a rice paper wrapper in a bowl of warm water for 5 seconds or until soft and pliable. Remove and shake dry.
- Place a little of the chilli salad inside and wrap neatly and tightly. Place on a serving plate.
- Continue with the remaining wrappers.
*White Pepper’s Top Tip
Allow the shredded vegetables to marinade and soften before wrapping them. This takes approximately 15 minutes. You can also adapt the recipe ingredients to include your favourite vegetables.
Tell us how you got on with this recipe in the comments below, happy cooking!