Charlotte says ”There are times when you just can’t beat an American pancake. They are fantastic to make for breakfast, when you have time, or make a gorgeous dessert which can be whipped up in a matter of minutes, and which mainly uses store cupboard ingredients.”
This is a recipe for gluten free American pancakes which we regularly enjoy. They can be a little more fragile than pancakes made with wheat flour.
The hardest part of making these is deciding what you would like on top. My favourite is maple syrup and fresh blueberries.
- Serves 2, generously!
- 200g self raising flour (I use Doves Farm gluten free blend)
- 50g caster sugar
- Pinch salt
- 30g butter, melted
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 300ml milk
- Extra butter or sunflower oil for cooking
- Toppings of your choice
- 1.Sift the flour into your mixing bowl. Add the sugar and salt and stir well.
- 2.Whisk the butter, egg and milk together and pour into the flour.
- 3.Whisk well until smooth.
- 4.Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- 5.Now, heat the butter or oil in a large frying pan.
- 6.Pour in blobs of mixture according to the size of pancake you would like.
- 7.Cook on a high heat for around 1-2 minutes on each side until browned and the pancake comes away from the pan cleanly.
- 8.Flip, cook on the other side.
- 9.Serve immediately with your favourite toppings.
More about Charlotte Pike here
Charlotte’s short cookery courses here
Charlotte’s 1 day cookery courses here