As mentioned on BBC Radio Solent, 1st November 2012.
This festive recipe uses the pumpkin flesh scooped from the centre of the pumpkin and also includes a marshmallow frosting rather than a buttercream topping.
Makes 10-12 muffins/1 x deep 8 inch tin/2lb loaf tin
- Serves 8-12
- 150ml (¼ pt) sunflower oil
- 100g brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 75g golden syrup
- 175g self raising flour
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp gunpowder or ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp bicarbonate soda
- 100g pumpkin, grated
- 20g dried coconut
- 1 tsp chopped nuts
- 1. Pre heated oven 180c
- 2. Process or whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs and syrup.
- 3. Sift together the dry ingredients (and gunpowder) and beat into the egg mixture.
- 4. Add the grated pumpkin and nuts.
- 5. Pour/spoon into a prepared tin/cases and bake in the pre heated oven.
White Pepper’s Top Tip: Cupcakes will take approximately 14-16 minutes to cook. A cake will take approx 30-40 minutes to cook.
- To decorate the above cake
- 225g caster sugar
- 3 egg whites (4 fl oz)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1. Fill a saucepan with two inches of water and place on the heat to boil.
- 2. Put the sugar, whites, vanilla and salt into a glass bowl and mix well.
- 3. Place the bowl over the water and allow to simmer very gently.
- 4. Whisk the mixture and allow to thicken – approximately 5-10 minutes.
- 5. Remove from the heat and whisk until cold and glossy – approximately 4 minutes.
- 6. Place in a piping bag with a plain nozzle and pipe swirls on top of each cake.