The jerk seasoning can be used to make; honey jerk seasoning, jerk barbecue sauce, marinades, jerk butter and much more. If you have enjoyed this recipe please let us know by commenting below.
- Makes about 180g
- 6 spring onions
- 1-3 Scotch Bonnet peppers
- 2 tsp allspice berries or 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tbsp of fried thyme
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cane vinegar or distilled white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1. The traditional method is to crudely mash up all the ingredients with a pestle and mortar and use to marinade the meat, discarding any large bits of spring onion etc, before cooking. To make it easier, you can use a blender to reduce all the ingredients to a thick paste.
The images in this blog remain the property of Simon & Schuster (UK) Ltd 2005. (The above photo is Fish with Lime & Garlic Jerk Butter).